Friday, January 21, 2011

Children of God

I have had the amazing opportunity to spend the last three days in an orphanage in a small town outside of Brasilia. Yesterday, I sat under a large tree blowing bubbles and taking pictures with the smaller children, while watching a few of the older boys play soccer.  As I was sitting under the tree I heard a small whistle, and to my surprise found a little boy in the very top of the tree swinging from the branch. He had beautiful skin, green eyes, and that mischievous smile all little boys get. After he got my attention he hopped down from the tree, wanted his picture taken and before I could even look back up, he was back in the top of the tree. After about four rounds of coming down the tree, taking his picture, and then disappearing back in the tree, I heard the tree branch snap. Before I could even stand up this small little boy had fallen face first on the hard ground in front of my feet. I picked the little boy off of the ground and while I ran holding him in my arms, him and me both were sobbing. Later, I was told that the little boy luckily only hurt his nose and had a few bruises on his arms but had not been hurt any worse.  Today, we were back at the orphanage, and the little boy who had fallen from the tree was back in full force. Like nothing had happened, he was running around playing soccer, smiling, laughing, and he was back in his tree. These past few days in the orphanage have really opened my eyes to not only seeing how blessed I am but it has also allowed me to see what its like to be a small child again. I was reminded of the scripture Luke 18:16-17, Jesus says, " Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." My hope for the rest of my time in Brazil is that I am teachable, care- free, and joyful like the little children I have spent the past week with. I hope that I allow the Lord to teach me more about the Brazilian people, and that I will learn more and more about his word and his will. I hope that I am care- free in our Lord, allowing him to have full control over my thoughts and actions, and that I will fully trust him to guide my future. I hope that I am joyful like a little child, joyful because I am a child of Jesus Christ. I pray that we all have the opportunity to share our joy in the Lord and I pray that those who we come in contact with will receive the kingdom of God like a little child.


-Abby Gifford

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post Abby. I so look forward to reading each post as they are letting us get a glimpse of how varied and wonderfully God is speaking to each of you in revealing some new aspect about himself, his nature, his character, his awesomeness!!! In the process we all are encouraged to love Him more! Praying for all of you daily.

dojo said...

Loved that story! God has blessed you with amazing insight into His awesome love for his children. It's not complicated, very simple, simple enough for a child's understanding. Prayers are lifted for each of you daily as God teaches you and works through you. Miss you and love you more!

Salters said...

Thanks for writing, Abby, and sharing! May God continue to strengthen you all as you serve Him. He is faithful!

Aunt Jana said...

Abby, that was a beautiful story and I'm glad he wasn't hurt too bad. Children are so wonderful and they have a way of really making everything so much more fun. I'm so glad to hear how God is using you in Brazil; I think of you often each day and am praying for you. Love you!